SWEET BOTTLEGOURD CURRY
A rich & unique curry with a mustard-tinged masala, Bottlegourd Curry develops its flavors from the natural sweetness of the vegetable itself and through the addition of coconut. (When we can’t locate bottlegourd, we use cucumber, lending a similar taste profile.) Serve it over rice or eat it plain as a soup. No one will judge you.
Here is the recipe:
SWEET BOTTLEGOURD CURRY
Preparation Time: 15 minutes; Serves: 4
1.5 to 2 cups cubed bottlegourd or cucumber (peeled & de-seeded first)
5-6 tsp Jaggery
1/4 tsp turmeric
5 tbsp unsweetened grated coconut (dry or fresh)
4 green chilis
1/2 tsp hingu (asafoetida)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp methi(fenugreek) seeds
2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1 cup buttermilk
salt to taste
2 tsp Coconut oil or Ghee
1/2 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 dry red chili
a few curry leaves
- In a medium sauced pot, put in your cubed bottlegourd and fill pot with water until just covering the bottlegourd cubes only. Add your jaggery, asafoetida, & turmeric, stir, and turn the burner to high. Cook until translucent, or about 7 minutes.
- in a small frypan, with minimal oil, lightly roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds,fenugreek seeds, & green chilis. Make sure that you switch off the heat as soon as you see a slight golden color in the fenugreek seeds.
- Take your roasted ingredients, as well as the grated coconut & yellow mustard seeds, and blend in a blender or similar with a little bit of water until you have a thick, watery paste (your wet masala).
- Add the wet masala you just made to the cooked ash gourd in the pot and stir well. Add the buttermilk into this mixture and stir well, simmering on low for about a minute, making sure not to curdle your elements. You can now add salt to taste.
- Make your garnish: Using a small frypan, put a tsp of oil, and drop in your brown mustard seeds, then your red chili, and lastly your curry leaves. Turn the heat to high and sizzle the ingredients until you hear the first couple of mustard seeds pop. At that moment , immediately take off the heat and top your curry with this mustard seed mix.
- Enjoy on a steaming hot plate of rice!
VEGAN SUBSTITUTE: add an extra 2 tbsp grated coconut amount, use Kala Namak salt, and leave out the buttermilk step. Opt for Coconut oil. This will still taste amazing!